Auckland Freediving Club Pool Inductions
If you're completely new to freediving, then the induction is the place to start. Get a taste of what freediving training is all about, before deciding whether you'll commit to a full membership.
Who should do an induction?
Everyone who wants to train with AFC needs to complete the pool induction.
Regular training with us as a club member will help you improve your breath hold abilities, safety skills and being comfortable in the water. This is great for:
- Beginners considering getting into freediving or spearfishing
- Snorkelers, swimmers, surfers or anyone who wants to be safer in the water
- Spearos who want to safely improve their breath hold
To join an AFC induction you will need to :
- Be minimum of 18 years old, 16/17 years old can attend with a parent and their parents permission.
- Be able to swim:
- 100m without a mask, snorkel or fins.
- 200m with a mask, snorkel and fins
- Have your own mask, snorkel, weight belt and fins.
A wetsuit is also recommended as you can get cold in the pool without one.
Where and when are induction sessions held?
All induction sessions are held at the Tepid Baths in Customs Street, Auckland. Inductions are held monthly and start on the first Monday of the month and run for the remaining Monday's - this is typically 4 sessions, although public holidays sometimes mean we cover everything in 3 sessions.
What do I need to bring?
You don't need fancy gear to do the induction sessions. But there are some basic pieces of equipment that will ensure you get the most out of the sessions.
- Wetsuit - If you tend to get cold this is highly recommended. Any wetsuit will do the trick, but we recommend triathalon or surf suits for most of the sessions. For the first session, you may want a thicker suit.
- Mask and snorkel or goggles and nose clip.
- Fins - Long freediving fins are ideal, but scuba/snorkelling fins also work fine.
- Weights - Plastic covered weights on a belt or neck weights. Bring all your weights and we will help you determine how much you need to wear.
What will I learn?
The learnings on the induction are similar to what you'll learn doing an AIDA 1* Freediving Course. There will be a large focus on safety and a requirement is that you demonstrate how to be a safe buddy and what to do should anything go wrong.
You'll also learn about:
- Correct weighting and how to check this
- Correct finning technique
- How to relax and prepare for a dive
- How to streamline and be efficient in the water
- Practice Dynamic, Dynamic No Fins and Static breath holds
- AFC training methods, best practices for lane sharing
- Meet some club members
After the induction, where you go next is up to you. If you're keen to learn more about freediving or spearfishing and are looking for more progression, there are a few options that open up:
- Become an AFC Member and continue pool training with us on Monday nights at Tepid Baths as well as at our other sessions: Panmure, Westwave Henderson and AUT Millennium (in winter).
- Do a lake induction - a pre-requisite of depth training with AFC is that you and complete both the pool induction and lake induction. Once you've completed the pool induction and joined AFC, you can start your lake induction to begin depth training at lake Pukupe (only in summer).
- Take a freediving course - you will be well prepared to start looking at further courses such as an AIDA 2* Certification.
Cost and sign up
The induction is a great way to dip your toes in the water and try freediving without a large commitment. We even recommend doing an induction before you go out and buy gear so that you know whether it's for you.
The month-long induction costs $50 and includes entry to the Tepid Baths for the duration.
To book a spot click the button below, select a date and follow the links in the booking request email.
A senior club member will then be in touch to confirm your place and give you any other details. If you have any questions before signing up for the induction, feel free to Contact Us.
- Starts first Monday of every month (excluding public holidays)
- Held at Tepid Baths in Auckland CBD
- Cost: $50 for 4 sessions every Monday of the month